Any facility that releases contaminants into the air, land or water, or stores, transports or disposes of waste must have an Environmental Compliance Approval (“ECA”) before it can operate legally. Owners and operators of such facilities are responsible for obtaining an ECA.
Environmental Compliance Approval in Toronto and surrounding areas are required for the following:
- Air and Noise
- Sewage Works
- Waste Disposal Sites
- Waste Management System (except Mobile Waste Processing)
- Waste Management System – Mobile Waste Processing
- Cleanup of Contaminated Sites
An application for an Environmental Compliance Approval will generally fall into the following categories:
- Newwhen first time applying for an ECA.
- Amendmentto add another activity or equipment to an existing ECA.
- Consolidated of existing ECAsreplace multiple existing ECAs into a single ECA and may include new or historically unapproved sources.
- Limited Operation Flexibility (former Basic Comprehensive)provides companies the opportunity to make some modifications (i.e., process changes or addition of new equipment) to their facility without having to go through the formal application process.
Environmental Activity and Sector Registry (EASR)
The Ministry of the Environment has simplified the application for approval process for those activities or sectors with potentially lower environmental impact in November 2011. The Environmental Activity and Sector Registry (EASR) consents companies to register online certain activities with the Ministry of the Environment, without applying for an approval.
The registry is available for:
- Heating Systems
- Standby Power Systems
- Automotive Refinishing Facilities
- Small Ground-mounted Solar Facilities
- Commercial Printing Facilities
- Non-hazardous Waste Transportation Systems
Any environmental compliance report or other required reports for earning approval from Ministry of environment or other international responsible bodies can be handled by SGETEC Consultants.