The primary purpose of this type of Assessment is to inspect the building materials within the structure in order to determine the presence of hazardous materials including, but not limited to, designated substances as defined by the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (“OHSA”), controlled substances under the federal Hazardous Products Act, chemical hazards (i.e. urea formaldehyde foam insulation) and biological hazards (i.e. mould). The results of the Assessment are used to assist with construction projects such as demolition and/or renovation. Section 30 of the OHSA requires that, prior to the start of the demolition activities, the building owner “determine whether any designated substances are present at the project site and shall prepare a list of all designated substances that are present at the site”. Furthermore, it is the owner’s responsibility to include a copy of this Assessment as part of the tendering information for potential contractors. All contractors must also provide this Assessment as part of the tendering information for potential subcontractors.
Eleven substances have been “designated” under the OHSA and Ontario Regulation (“O. Reg.”) 490/09 – Designated Substances (“O. Reg. 490/09”). These include:
- Coke Oven Emissions
- Ethylene Oxide
- Vinyl Chloride
Other controlled substances and/or chemical hazards include polychlorinated biphenyls (“PCBs”) and Urea formaldehyde foam insulation (“UFFI”). Biological hazards include mould due to the organic nature of most of the construction materials.
Our services include:
- Detailed visual inspection and detailed assessment of the Subject Building.
- Collection and submission to a certified laboratory of different types of potential asbestos-containing materials (“ACMs”).
- Collection and submission to certified laboratory different types of lead-based paint.
- Visual observation of any other designated/controlled/hazardous substance that might be present within the Subject Building.
- Explanations of the analytical methods.
- Conclusions and recommendations outlining the identified/designated substances/hazardous materials and types/methods of removal.