Ontario’s current general waste management regulation – and the one with the broadest application – is Ontario Regulation 347 – General Waste Management (“O. Reg. 347”) designed to prevent environmental damage and risk to human health. Other waste regulations include: O. Regs. 352 and 362, which govern the management of PCBs; O. Regs. 101, 102, 103, and 104, which deal with recycling, waste audits, and waste reduction work plans; O. Reg. 341, which addresses deep well disposal; and O. Regs. 340, 344, 345, and 357, which apply to containers.
WHO DO THESE REGULATIONS APPLY TO?
Industrial facilities, medical buildings, educational establishments (e.g. colleges and university campuses), multi-unit residential buildings, etc.
HOW SGETEC Consultants HELPS?
SGETEC Consultants provides technical services that help clients meet the regulatory requirements of hazardous and industrial waste management activities. The most common waste management services are compliance auditing, identifying and evaluating waste minimization alternatives, and developing emergency response and spill response procedures.
SGETEC Consultants undertakes a number of waste management services, including but not limited to:
- Meeting the 3Rs requirements (reduce, reuse, recycle), which entails conducting a waste audit, reviewing waste generation points and designing a waste reduction and diversion plan;
- Developing a waste management plan;
- Reviewing waste handling, storage and disposal procedures;
- Determining waste classification;
- Obtaining approvals and permits (e.g., Waste Generator Registration);
- Undertaking asbestos and Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) surveys;
- Supervising designated substance removal (e.g., asbestos, lead).